Sunday 4 August 2013

Preparing a felting batt....now this is fun!


Main ingredient beautiful merino x fleece
bought at Woolfest this year.


The same merino scoured (cleaned and degreased)
 and dyed, I use acid dyes which are rinsed in metipex
to remove excess dye and then rinsed in conditioner.


My carding space in the studio.
I use an Ashford wild carder 
( I bought mine from Wingham Wool works)
You can of course use hand carders .

I card the merino x once to produce a rough batt.
( It can be seen to left of carder)
Then I chose my additions


This one has dyed tussah silk tops, bamboo,
silk noil and felt snipps.

Felt snips are pieces of my hand dyed merino pre-felt
that I sort into colour collections and snip into little bits.


I combine the additions in layers between 
my hand dyed Merino.


So the second carding look like the above.
Apologies for photo my camera doesn't like being inside.


Then I split it into sections and card it for the third time.
I like to keep it to 3 times so it retains as much texture as possible.

Similar felting bats can be made using my felting packs

2 comments:

  1. This looks gorgeous Claire, interesting to see how you do it and the finished result looks lovely!

    Rose xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Claire that is just stunning I wasnt aware that was how you got all those bits in with the wool, and I love the colour. hugs Shirleyxxx

    ReplyDelete